Sunday, January 1, 2012

...and Hello, with Intention, to 2012

This morning I went and did my traditional annual New Year's Day labyrinth walk, with a group of my friends. Though I had just been a few hours earlier, to close 2011, this was the start of the new. I was so glad I went last night because it really gave me some much needed closure to a challenging year. I was ready to start fresh.

My day started early, before the walk, with reading some, and I saw this Facebook post by Dr. Wayne Dyer:
"Forget about those New Year’s resolutions in which you decide on the first day of January how you will be conducting your life for the next twelve months. Instead, set up day-to-day goals for yourself, and then resolve to begin living with present moment awareness for the rest of your life. When you get good at living your present moments one day at a time, you’ll see yourself changing right before your own surprised eyes. Remember, anyone can do anything for just one day, so tune out the sentences that keep you locked into your old self-defeating ways and begin to enjoy each day of your bright new year.
What are some things you've wanted to do for yourself, one day at a time?
"

I realized that although setting goals is very important, reevaluating is important also. Time moves quickly and things change. This turned out to be a theme for the morning. My friend Sarah read a piece before we walked, and I was struck by these words, "Change is the only constant." That seemed very accurate of late. We were talking about how things happen so quickly now. With technology, and the ability to travel, general busy-ness, we are not the same society we were a few years ago. Being adaptable to change is, and will be the key to less stress in my life. With all that took place in 2011, and the many times I felt so overwhelmed, it is obvious that adaptability is important. I also know that adapting to change will take work, but it is work I am eager to do.

I entered the labyrinth with that intention...to meditate on change and adaptability. There was a group of about 10 of us walking, but somehow, we were all on our own path. I observed that people can be with me, but I am still responsible for the path I choose. People pass through my life in different ways, some connect, some don't. All have some impact.

So, then suddenly, momentarily, my friend Mary was on the path next to mine, and she reached over and gave me a hug. She was dropping an occasional rose petal as she walked. I whispered, "I love the roses." The petals were blowing, drifting, crossing my path frequently. The next time Mary was near me, she reached out and handed me a petal. It was shaped like a heart. I noticed all the other petals strewn about were heart shaped also. I experienced a shift in my thinking. Change is the only constant....but the other constant is love. I was flooded with a sense of peace. Love is constant. It made me think of the end of one of my favorite books, The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder. This quote from the book was ringing in my mind. "But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love."

When I finished walking, I sat down on a bench in the bright sunshine to write a few thoughts. It turned into Haiku poetry. I write Haiku a lot, so this is what came to me.

Hearts are in flowers
Flowers all along my path
Remind me to love.

My path, full of change
Reevaluate, adapt
Carry on with love.

As I was sitting and writing, for the first time in months I saw a falcon flying overhead. I've seen falcons on occasion, and it is always an amazing experience. I love them. They represent strength, power, and freedom to me. The bird, the only thing visible in the crystal clear blue sky, flew a lap around the open area of the labyrinth, low enough for me to see feathers and pattern on its underside, then flew up and over the trees and away. The falcon reinforced what I was already thinking about...the strength, power, and freedom of love.

Cheers...to an amazing 2012.


1 comment:

  1. Cool, HTown Lisa!

    What a moving, powerful, provocative, poignant post!

    It resonates w/ me--and I suppose plenty of others--on ALL SORTS of levels....

    So Thx for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete