Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Love Finding its Way--Tonight's Blessing

Tonight at dinner a blessing was said. I was at the home of a dear friend, accepting a spontaneous invitation, despite my need to stay home and clean and organize my own house, and also rest. I often say that given the option, I will always socialize. Even when I am grateful and reveling in free time, I will leap at a social invitation if one pops up.

I sort of justified accepting the invitation, reassuring myself in my own mind as I texted my hostess, "I won't stay late, and I won't eat much." Somehow, that made it ok to abandon the contents of my dining room buffet that were now all on my dining room table. I also left the remnants of fudge-making all over my kitchen.

Cooking is one way that I show love. It nurtures body and spirit, both mine, and those who eat what I prepare. I had quickly thrown together some fudge this afternoon, to give to a young friend who is facing some big challenges right now. Fudge is really nothing, but it was a way for me to express my care. I was also thinking of her the whole time I was cooking. When I went to deliver the fudge, she was not able to visit with me. I left the treats, hoping that she will know that she is loved, even though I didn't get to see her.

Back to the blessing. The patriarch of the assembled family at dinner tonight--I really was crashing the party--said grace before we ate. The words that stuck with me were about love. Love finds its way into our lives in so many ways if we allow it. I knew that I was loved, surrounded by this family that was not my own, but we were part of each other for the evening.

Interestingly enough, the dinner conversation turned to religion, and the since I teach, and others present had studied world religions, it was a great conversation. Among the points discussed, different faiths have different practices, but the same goals. Every major faith has a statement of some form of the Golden Rule--Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And it is all about love. Isn't that an important goal in all of our lives? To be loved and valued. So, as we strive to be loved, we should love others.

Loving what you do is a way of sharing your passion with others. When you have a passion, and you choose to share that passion, you can impact others--with your enthusiasm, your work, your love. Passion is very attractive. Loving my family, home, career, city, activities, friends--makes me realize how lucky I am. Yes, love has found its way in, and I welcome it, celebrate it, revel in it.

So tonight, as I am sitting upstairs listening to the rain, having cleaned up (and consumed) the remnants of the fudge, following an amazing dinner of shrimp ettouffe and bread pudding, I am happy to have let love find its way in to my life today.

1 comment:

  1. And to think we almost just let little Andrew say "God is great God is good and we thank him for this food amen."

    ReplyDelete