Friday, January 1, 2010

Food Vignette

I must take a moment for a brief interlude and describe a meal that I had last night. I was dining at T'afia with friends to ring in the new year, or to ring out the old, depending on perspective. It was a damp and slightly drizzly cool-ish winter evening. I had already made one dinner for my children, sushi (a totally interactive food experience in my house) and chocolate fondue, which is a family tradition for the new year.

I was picked up by friends for a late dinner, and we arrived at the restaurant, which was full, warm, and festive. There was a 5 course menu. One of my friends and I decided to order different things and share, so we essentially would have 9 courses. All the starters were the same. Savory Parisian style macaroons--one that was black truffle with brie and greens with truffle oil on the side, and one that was sage with bosque bleu cheese and butternut squash. They were beautiful, delicate, and delicious. You could actually taste each component, in a tiny little savory cookie.

The second course was soup. We shared a butternut squash bisque, that had a lovely spice, perhaps cardamon and a cauliflower soup that was spicy, with a piece of cauliflower as a garnish that had a lovely drizzle of something on it. Course number three was a choice of several items. I chose buratta a la puglia, which is a soft home made mozzarella, with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs. My friend had spinach-ricotta gnudi with a brown sage butter. We shared again, and both were the type of dish that you just didn't want to end. I savored every morsel, eating slowly to enjoy it as much as possible.

The fourth course, I had scallops, perfectly seared, served with truffled potatoes and a blue cheese honey glaze. So delicious. I found myself cutting the scallops into very tiny pieces so I could enjoy more mouthfuls. My friend had spiced lamb chops, that were served with kale and radishes that were braised in a lovely sweet and sour sauce. Again, both were impeccably executed, and tastes to be savored.

Finally, the dessert courses we chose were a creme brulee with a chocolate ginger snap, and a berry tart, served with spiced pistachios and whipped cream. Mmmmm.

A few times, Chef Monica emerged momentarily from the kitchen, and each time had an intense look of concentration. There were several other menu options in addition to those we ate. I know that kitchen had to be a very busy place of fast pace and pumping adrenaline. The atmosphere in the dining room was relaxed, festive, and fun. There was a look of enjoyment and happiness on the faces of the lucky people who were there to celebrate.

The friends I joined were all new friends, made in 2009. There is no doubt in my mind that these new friendships were one of the big highlights of my year. It was a wonderful way to celebrate the end of the year, and the end of a decade. I was leaving behind intensity on many levels, and moving forward into a life with hopefully a lot more fun, relaxation, and cause for celebration.

Following dinner, we moved on to 13 Celsius. It was the third anniversary of the opening of this little gem of a wine bar. There were champagne toasts at midnight, hugs and kisses all around, and good wishes for all the best 2010 has to promise in its newest minutes. There was also birthday cake, again made by Chef Monica, so again, we ate, celebrated, and enjoyed.

When we finally departed to go home, the sky had cleared. It was windy and COLD, and there was a full moon shining above. It was a blue moon on New Year's Eve--a rare and special night.



No comments:

Post a Comment