Sunday, November 22, 2009

Krishna's Birthday

Today was the 60th birthday celebration for my friend Krishna. I had the opportunity to attend the Ugraratha Shanti Pooja. It was a Hindu ceremony celebrating the first half of life. If sixty is only half way, that is a grand expectation. Actually, it was a lovely ceremony, blessing and invoking the Gods and Goddesses, and making offerings. There was also a re-affirmation of wedding vows, and blessings for an by the extended family. Of course, a feast followed. It was a spectacualr afternoon, complete with the most colorful display of sarees I have ever witnessed in person!

So I was reflecting on "the first half of life" idea. If sixty is only half the journey, imagine the things we could accomplish. But, is longer better? I think not. Of course, we all want a long happy, healthy, and successful life, but I think that, for me at least, having a life mission, a goal, is what makes me a successful person. I try to work toward my goal in some way every day. If I have done something toward that goal, it has been a successful day, and I can rest easy knowing that I have made progress.

What is my goal? My life purpose? Well, it is very simple. I want to leave this world better than it was when I got here. If I make someone smile, or help someone reach a goal of theirs, then that is a success. Of course, my long term plans are way grander, but each day I achieve a small success, I feel that it is an improvement in the life of at least one person. It can be my children, a friend, a total stranger, or work on a service project that makes me feel like I am working toward my goal. It is a way to focus.

It also helps me to be grateful. Gratitude is a powerful force for change. That is a whole separate post, however, for another day. I'll close with an acknowledgment of gratitude to Krishna and family for including me in their joyous celebration, and making me think about life goals, and success
.


No comments:

Post a Comment