Sunday, November 15, 2009

More Than a Stream of Consciousness

This week, I had the opportunity to hear Scott Harrison speak. He is the founder of charity: water. I have, at various times in my life, wanted to work on clean water initiatives. The statistics are staggering. There are over a billion people in the world who don't have access to clean water. Their drinking water is unsafe. The very thing needed to sustain life, can end life instead. Women and children are not educated, because they can't go to school. Fetching the day's water for the family takes too much time. Walking miles with heavy containers, quite literally, breaks the spines of these people.

However, this is not the focus of this post.

It has been frustrating to me that every time I think that I am really going to do something, besides donate a little money, to be involved in clean water efforts, something in my life interrupts me, and stops the flow of energy, of passion, my need to leave the world better somehow than it was when I arrived.

Cancer, bad health, dishonest husband, bankruptcy, moving, divorce, being a single mom of 4 children, transitioning from home schooling to having all my children in school--life's bumps in the road. However, it was the latest blip than made me feel the need to take stock of things, and to finally pursue some things I have been wanting to do.

So, now the point of this post. (And you thought from the title this was going to be more than a stream of consciousness!) I have been talking about writing forever. However, successful writers all have one thing in common. They write. I'm done talking, I'm writing. I'm not quite sure how this will take shape, but I have a lot I want to share, so this will be a journey of discovery for me, and hopefully some entertainment for you, my readers.

Welcome, as we together navigate the babbling brook, or rushing river, that is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment